Tuesday, July 03, 2007

FROM PLUMBER'S TWICE WEEKLY Q LIMERICK MASTERCLASS

There once was a plumber from Lea,
Who was plumbing his girl, by the sea.
Said the girl, "Stop your plumbing, I hear someone coming!"
Said the plumber, still plumbing, "It's me."

THE PLUMBER IN QUESTION IS A MR ROD BULGING, FROM IOWA. AFTER FITTING THREE KITCHENS & A BOUDOIR, ROD DEIGNED TO BE INTERVIEWED. THIS IS AN ABBREVIATED VERSION OF THAT INTERVIEW.

B&B: So Rod, how's it hanging?

ROD: It's good. Straight and true.

B&B: I'd like to ask you, if I may, about your Limerick.

ROD: Hell, is that what it is. OK.

B&B: The aspects of setting, of topic, of voice seem to dominate, to direct the reading. Would that be a fair observation?

ROD: Uh, actually, the dominant theme is, IMHO, what the plumber's up to with, uh, the client, ya get me?

B&B: Loud and clear, Rod. Loud and clear. Now, in reading the Limerick one is struck by the fact that it gets to a dark place very quickly. There's no suspense here, is there?

ROD: Well, Jeez, I gotta tell ya, this was a brief encounter. There wasn't time for nothing fancy.

B&B: Indeed and in trying to understand the organisation of the piece, how the poem proceeds, what elements or principles guide this organisation, one is struck by the fact that there is no reversal, there is most definitely a climax, perhaps not a sequence of some kind and with regards to a set of oppositions the jury is well and truly out.

ROD: Can't argue with none of that. I'll ask my neighbor Jed. He's got a PhD, so maybe he can. But I ain't promising anythin', ya get me?

B&B: And what would you say about tone?

ROD: Hell, there ain't no music in it. Although the radio was on in the background whilst we were on the job, like.

B&B: It's intriguing how the various elements work to create its meaning. The imagery is astounding, the symbolism abounds.

ROD: Hey, thanks a lot, buddy. I'm kinda pleased with it myself. I'm goin' back there for more next week.

B&B: Mr Bulging, it's been a pleasure to chat to you. And the next Limerick is coming out when?

ROD: When I write it. It's 90% perspiration, 10% copulation, ya get me?

B&B: Quite incredible. Rod Bulging, thank you.

3 comments:

Nonnie Augustine said...

I have such admiration for those who can truly analyze poetry. B&B do not miss a trick here, because of their drilling, nay,courteous questioning, I, too was able to glean a superior understanding of the structure, penetrating directness, and above all pace, of Mr. Bulge's work. In the fulness of time, I will be able to interview him myself, as he has promised to come inspect my sink. Bravo, B&B, bravo.

Unknown said...

Yes, to second Ms. Augustine's comments--bravo! Quite the masterclass from a master plumber whose humble Limerick has plumbed my depths.

(Addendum: I too have a leaky sink in need of attention, and my bidet just won't stop gushing. My appliances and I breathlessly await your professional services.)

Unknown said...

Yes, to second Ms. Augustine's comments--bravo! Quite the masterclass from a master plumber whose humble Limerick has plumbed my depths.

(Addendum: I too have a leaky sink in need of attention, and my bidet just won't stop gushing. My appliances and I breathlessly await your professional services.)